It’s almost spring and budding has begun in the Champenois vineyard. Temperatures become milder and February and March are the months for seasonal pruning which involves the removal of superfluous buds, branches and excess leaves, in order to prepare the vine for a correct growth after the winter rest. It is one of the most important operations in the vineyard which will condition the quality of the grapes and the future harvest.
The worst enemy in these crucial months are the late frosts which can compromise the budding of the buds and the harvest. It is not uncommon for the winemakers, during the nights when the temperature reaches zero degrees, to be forced to light fires between the rows to warm the vines by burning wet straw. In fact, this practice makes it possible to limit the damage caused by frost by creating a blanket of smoke to protect the vines from low temperatures and filter the morning sun to prevent the very delicate buds from burning.
And if in spring Champagne is a concentration of nature in growing fervour, let's discover together some sparkling news of the 2023 season available in our online shop.
- Champagne Extra Brut Accent Tonique, Manon Boutillez-Guer. Result of the blending of 94% Chardonnay and 6% Pinot Noir, from grapes harvested in Villers-Marmery, in the heart of the Reims Mountains, this Champagne owes its name to the particular floral aromas of the Chardonnay in this characteristic terroir. The harvest base is from 2020 with a 20% of vin de réserve, the vinification is done in steel tanks and the refinement in the bottle on its yeasts is about 24 months before the dégorgement. Limited edition of only 2,400 bottles.
- Champagne Brut Pr 18|90, Henri Giraud. Wonderful Multi vintage with a 2018 harvest base and addition of perpetuelle réserve starting from the 1990 vintage. This Champagne is characterized by 90% Pinot Noir and 10% Chardonnay from grapes of Grand Cru vineyards of the Vallée de la Marne, deeply structured, tasty, persistent and mineral, with considerable aging potential.
- Champagne Brut Blanc De Millénaires 2007, Charles Heidsieck. It was in 1993 that Charles Heidsieck presented his first Blanc de Millénaires, and since then the Maison has offered only six vintages for this famous Blanc de Blancs: 1985, 1990, 1995, 2004, 2006 and 2007. It is a 100 % Chardonnay from vineyards of the 5 main Crus of the Côte des Blancs: Oger, Mesnil-sur-Oger, Avize, Cramant and Vertus. Cuvée with extraordinary freshness and a perfectly balanced bouquet between elegance and body.
- Champagne Extra Brut Les Rocheforts V20,Etienne Calsac. Those of Etienne Calsac are extremely wanted Champagnes and produced in limited quantities: his Champagne Les Rocheforts is a 100% Chardonnay produced by the homonymous Lieu-Dit owned in Bisseuil, in the Côte des Blancs. 2020 harvest base with 30% vin de réserve, first fermentation in steel and permanence on its yeasts for at least 24 months. A very elegant style, fresh and taut on the palate.
- Champagne Brut Nature La Géande 7 Cépages 2017, Alexandre Bonnet. A limited edition product of only 4,449 bottles and 50 magnums, Champagne La Géande 7 Cépages is the result of the blending of the "Cépages Oubliés", or forgotten vines, including Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Arbane, Petit Meslier with the classic Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Meunier from the 2017 harvest. The grapes are harvested in the same parcel of property in Les Riceys, in the Côte des Bar and are cultivated according to the principles of sustainable viticulture. On the nose, the freshness of fruit combines with the floral complexity of acacia, honeysuckle, almond and sweet spices. The palate is opulent, powerful, greedy, with an elegant minerality.
- Champagne Extra Brut Cru D'origine "Les Riceys" 2015, Nowack. 100% Pinot Noir from Les Riceys grapes, this Champagne is produced starting from the 2015 harvest base, fermentation with native yeasts, no filtration and aging in small oak barrels for 12 months. The second fermentation is started with the use of grape must and ages on its yeasts for at least 60 months. A Champagne with a strong personality and complexity.
GLUGULP! selection continues!
Discover here all the news of the incoming season and find your favorite Champagnes!